"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing." -2 Timothy 4:6-8
Mr. Larry did a lesson this past Sunday on "Crossing the Finish Line" - and it's funny because I had already decided that my next post was going to be SORT OF about this. So thanks Mr. Larry, because you helped me get more of a focus for what I wanted to share!
GREAT MINDS THINK ALIKE! :)
I've been doing a lot of thinking over the past week. Sometimes I don't always know how good of idea it is that I do a lot of thinking. (ha). BUT, in light of the hospitalization and passing of dear Brother RJ - I've just thought a lot about him and the life he led. Before I ever met RJ or his wonderful family, it was always sort of a joke growing up - RJ Stevens - he's like the "pope" of the church of Christ, "famous", I mean seriously, if you attend a "church of Christ" you're almost CERTAIN to know him or about him. Even though it was a light hearted joke, there was some truth to it. RJ made an IMPACT, along with his sweet wife Pauline by his side, and people who knew them LOVED them and respected them so much for their stand for the truth and their work for God.
(side note): When I went to Florida College, I met his granddaughter Penny. I remember that when she and I got to be friends and I learned that RJ was her grandpa, I always thought it was so cool that one of my best friends was not only related to but the GRANDDAUGHTER of RJ STEVENS! :) I mean, I felt like I had won the lottery! haha. Not only did I get to be friends with this awesome girl who was literally like my other half, but there was a distinct possibility that RJ would know who I was! haha. (so silly I know!) I'll never forget the time that someone asked Penny "what does RJ stand for?" and her response was "umm, my grandpa!!!" One of the funnier moments. haha. Still to this day she is one of my best friends in the whole world and I am so grateful and thankful that over the years of not being able to see each other very often (she lives in Texas and I live in Alabama) that we have remained close. I'm honored that I got to be apart of her wedding 2 1/2 years ago in which Brother RJ married her and Jeremy. What a special memory! :) I love you Booger!
Anyway, back to the subject at hand - When I think of men and their wives that have been LEADERS and made an IMPACT in the church, I think of RJ and Pauline, Dee and Norma Bowman, Sewell and Caneta Hall, Ed and DeeDee Harrell and SO many more. I often wonder who will be the "RJ Stevens" or "Dee Bowmans" of our generation, because man do they have some big shoes to fill.
(side note: the names I listed are not to discredit ANYONE, these were
just the ones off the top of my head....personally at the top of my list
are J.A. and Rubye Johnson, who were my grandparents and the
biggest influences and role models in my life personally - I'm sure we
all have those people!)
When I think about it, it's almost overwhelming...but in weeks like this past week it also makes me think about my life and look at the way I'm living and whether or not I will ever be worthy to be held in regard and with the respect that these amazing women - Mrs. Pauline, Mrs. Norma, Mrs. Caneta and Mrs. DeeDee are.
I know that right now - I wouldn't even begin to a hold a candle to them. I have so much work to do, but all this thinking has made me realize the error in my life and what I know I need and want to work on - and it's not because I want to be able to say I'm worthy of anything other than Heaven. I don't want to ever give a reason of doubt to myself, to those around me or to God of the "race I've ran" and where my eternity will be spent. I don't think anyone would ever question that RJ is in Heaven right now - and when I die, I don't want there to be any doubt about where I am either.
"The Christians hope is a powerful incentive for living."
I want to make a difference in people's lives the way the RJ did. I want for people to see my love for God and Jesus shining through me. I want to be a light in the world. (Matthew 5:14)
"For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know! I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body." -Philippians 1:21-24
"and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” -Matthew 20:27-28
So at this moment - how are you living? Are you living a life worthy of the death of Jesus? Are you living a life worth the hope of Heaven? How's your walk with God? If your time was today, would you be ready? We are not guaranteed tomorrow - so let's start LIVING today. I challenge you in the next week to make a list of the things you need and want to work on in your life. If you feel the need to share them with people close to you so that they help to hold you accountable, do so - but I'm asking you to do this for you! I'm doing it. I'm making my list - and I am determined to conquer this list and more. I want to be worthy - and I want to be an example. I would love to live my life so that one day when I die, people can reflect the way they've been able to reflect with RJ and think of all the fond memories, but also the memories of times when I was an example to them.
I want to be a WORKER for the Lord.
I want to love and trust His holy word.
I want to sing and pray and be busy everyday,
In the vineyard of the Lord.
I know my dear friends who are mourning the loss of their mentor, their father, their grandfather are so thankful to have been his children and grandchildren, and so thankful their precious "Papa J" was a worker for the Lord and had that hope of eternal life. They said RJ still had work he wanted to do - but even when he was in the hospital, he was sharing the gospel and singing praises to God. In his last days his family was sitting around him praying and singing praises. What examples! I know the people working in the hospital had to have been in awe watching their strength! I know I would have been. What a tribute to RJ and what a mighty legacy for God that he left behind...so in a large way, his work will be continued, because he raised a wonderful family who loves God and wants to serve Him.
"...But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved." -Ephesians 2:4-5
I pray that one day when I have a family of my own that I will raise them in such a way that they are soldiers for Christ and spread His word to everyone - but this starts with me. And it starts now.
Pray for me as I work on my relationship with God - pray that I truly make a change of heart and become stronger in my faith and in my knowledge of the scriptures and the truth. Pray that I become a stronger soldier for Christ.
and I will pray for you! :)
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." -2 Corinthians 4:16-18
until next time...be a blessing to others.
In Him from whom all blessings flow,
Erica
"Sing the wondrous love of Jesus,
Sing His mercy and His grace.
In the mansions bright and blessed
He’ll prepare for us a place.
While we walk the pilgrim pathway,
Clouds will overspread the sky;
But when traveling days are over,
Not a shadow, not a sigh.
Let us then be true and faithful,
Trusting, serving every day;
Just one glimpse of Him in glory
Will the toils of life repay.
Sing His mercy and His grace.
In the mansions bright and blessed
He’ll prepare for us a place.
Clouds will overspread the sky;
But when traveling days are over,
Not a shadow, not a sigh.
Trusting, serving every day;
Just one glimpse of Him in glory
Will the toils of life repay.
When we all get to Heaven,
What a day of rejoicing that will be!
When we all see Jesus,
We’ll sing and shout the victory!"
What a day of rejoicing that will be!
When we all see Jesus,
We’ll sing and shout the victory!"
No comments:
Post a Comment